Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Books

I have recently read a number of books that I have really enjoyed. Some have been referrals from friends and some I have in my little library of favorites. So I thought I would post a few recommendations for books for anyone who is interested. If you have any recommendations for me please let me know. I am always in search of a good book to read.

1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows


2. The Mitford series by Jan Karon is a 7 or 8 book series that begins with At Home in Mitford



3. A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott (Bitter-sweet, but I think well worth the read.)

4. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens


5. Persuasion by Jane Austen (I have read this a number of times but I had forgotten how much I liked this story.)


6. A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Awesome! I love that you posted this list. I have got to get these books. I too am always in search of good read.

Melinda said...

P.S. Speaking of books I'm having an Usborne Book Show. You can visit the website. I'll give you the link for the e-show once the lady calls me back. They have great books for kids. If your interested.

Ruth said...

Thanks for the book list. I absolutely loved the Mitford series! So sweet! I'm also a big Persuasion fan as well. I'll look for the others and let you know what I think.

JaNeil said...

I just finished reading Emma by Jane Austen and liked it. It is the first time I have read any of her books. I will have to try your recommendation. The only problem I had with Emma was the fluffiness and pansiness of the English characters.

JaNeil said...

I was just wondering what the plans were for the reunion this year and when. Dan is getting ready to ask work off and I need to soon also. Hope to hear from you soon.

Jeff and Penny Glaittli said...

My book club reads a lot of marvelous books, one of my favorites the last while has been The Hunger Games--it's a young adult book and a little different, but it hooks you and you can't put it down. Also two mysteries by Tana French-- In the Woods and The Likeness, both very good--not "great literature" but fun books to read. Last months book club book was Sun Flower and the Secret Fan by lisa See--a very interesting book set in the period when they bound women's feet. Hope all is well!

Melinda said...

Nail polish! Oh man. That's crazy. Isn't it amazing how kids can even acquire those things so quickly. It's like "where did you find this" and "how did you sneak in here so fast". Oh I'm not looking forward to that.

JaNeil said...

Are you working in Shelby? What type of setting? We were planning to go to Seattle in the middle of May for a conference there. There are two conferences the weekend of May 16th and 17th. One is on the foot and ankle provided by glseminars.com and the other is on mobilization of the UE provided by tnseminars.com. I am leaning towards the foot and ankle one just because it is still an area that I don't have a lot of experience in, but the other one would be good also. We are planning to arrive in Seattle on Thursday, May 14th and fly out Monday, May 18th. We already have our tickets, but nothing else is booked yet, waiting for our tax return. It would be great to have you guys come too. Instead of coming to Fruitland, we could just all be in Seattle together. Talk to Aaron about it and let us know.