Monday, January 14, 2008

The Revolution

I (Aaron) was asked to give a talk on Sunday. We have some new families in the ward and I guess they haven't heard me speak before. The subject was the mutual theme, being steadfast and immovable. I tied the talk into it being the parents responsibility that they bring their kids to the activities and to church and not that of the leaders. I thought I did a good job but I wasn't prepared for what followed.

When the meeting was over I went to my class room to prepare my lesson for the Teacher's Quorum. During priesthood opening exercises they were still commenting on my talk and one of our more outspoken members was criticizing the young men for not bringing their scriptures to church and that got everyone started into an uproar. I guess it was a better talk than I had imagined. I told Gwen that had I pounded my fists and raised my voice a bit I probably could have driven them to war. It was great. We got a good kick out of it.

Later on that night some new members invited us over to their house for dinner and we had a pot luck with some other families. I overheard them talking once more about the talk and everyone got a good laugh. Gwen and I were conjuring up images of "Dwight" on "The Office" when he gave his big speech like a tyrant and was able to single handedly win over the crowd . You have got to see it.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

Ok so Garrett and I took your advice after we stayed with you in El Paso to start watching The Office. We were hesitant at first because it's kinda hard to get into mid-season. So we started ordering them off itunes. Well we loved it. It's pure genius! We own all the seasons now. And Dwight's speech was hilarious!
Fact: Dwight is the best character of all time. Battle Star Galactica!

Dr. E said...

The Office is the best! We own the seasons as well and we just laugh and laugh. We also have the 2008 Office calendar with all of the cast's motivational advice. "These are all terrible ideas. . . I think you should leave." (Angela)

Anonymous said...

This blog entry sounds like Brandon. He teaches Sunday school and also comments a lot on his non-teaching days. He really pipes in when he doesn't agree with things. He has told men he is ashamed to call them brother for being lazy and putting their wives to work. There are men in this ward who won't get a job so their wives go to work at the dollar store. Yowza!

JaNeil said...

Actually that entry sounds just like me. I am always so out there in church, I'm like spanking kids in the hallways, nip twistin' talkie punks in class, eye ballin' busy-bodies, and out-rightousnizing all most everyone in church...except for my wife who is a pure as the driven snow angel I love you.

Melinda said...

oh my gosh Daniel kills me!!! LOL